Unique April Holidays to Boost Sales
St. Patrick’s Day is just around the corner, but when all of the hoopla ceases, what can you promote to cascade the excitement throughout the spring? Believe it or not, April has a plethora of holidays to offer which you can celebrate in your establishment. Check out a list of more than 30 unique and bizarre April holidays you could leverage in your bar or restaurant.
Key Holiday Opportunities in April
It’s National Pecan Month – Go nuts!
- For those who are not allergic to or have an aversion of nuts, promote recipes including pecans a few times per month. Here are 16 different recipes to spark ideas for menu options.
- Be sure to include the health benefits of nuts in your promotions. This website is completely devoted to pecans. It includes nutritional information, a pecan 101 section, recipes and more.
- Consider running a month-long special on pecan pie. Perhaps a “buy one slice of pecan pie and get a second slice of your choice of pie for free” would drum up sales in the dessert department.
National Garden Week is in April – Go local!
As the local and homegrown food movement continues to expand, restaurants are following suit by utilizing fresh and local ingredients in their menu options. Using local ingredients not only provides the utmost quality of food, but also helps support local economies.
- Each special of the day should include local ingredients to promote the health and wellness benefits of gardening and utilizing fresh, homegrown ingredients.
- Showcase local partners and farms by placing photos on display or create an ad on any in-venue digital signage.
April 1: April Fools Day
- Depending on your audience and/or loyal customer base, play a practical joke on your customers. For example, sing “happy birthday” to the wrong patron to see their reaction. Be sure the entire party is on board before activating such a plan.
April 7: No Housework Day
- A few weeks prior to April 7, promote this evening. Add fun facts such as “The average American housewife spends an average of 17 hours per week cleaning their house” on a visible display board. Target working mothers/fathers and stay-at-home parents.
- Encourage them to toss the usual monotonous dinner responsibility onto your restaurant’s shoulders for the evening. Create a special menu for the evening that has a more “at home” feel to it than the usual burger and shake.
April 17: National Pet Owner’s Day
- If you have an outdoor patio, consider going pet-friendly for the day. Here are a few easy ways to include this particular segment of the audience. Pet owners will love that you have opened your doors to their furry, four-legged friends.
April 19: National Garlic Day
- Who doesn’t love garlic? There is an entire restaurant devoted to garlic lovers in California. If you’re curious to learn more about garlic, check out this website.
- Create a fun and engaging eCard contest. Choose a funny image and ask customers to submit their captions. The winner will receive some sort of amenity.
End of April: Local Grads Day
- At the end of April, begin planning promotions for a special “hats off to you, grads” evening. This is not a national holiday, but a great way to celebrate the local accomplishments of recent graduates, whether it be from high school or college. Offer a free appetizer or dessert to any graduate. When customers feel recognized and special, they will develop even more positive feelings about your establishment.
Here is a list of other April holidays. Get creative and find a way to intertwine the holiday with a special event or promotion at your establishment. Include social media outlets as well to drive traffic to your pages. For example, if families are your main target, ask guests to upload photos of their family reading a book to celebrate the National Children’s Book Day. Reward them by offering 10% off of their meal.
|April 2||National Children’s Book Day||Children’s Book Day|
|April 2||Peanut Butter & Jelly Day||Peanut Butter & Jelly|
|April 7||Caramel Popcorn Day||Caramel Popcorn Day|
|April 10||Golfer’s Day||Golfer’s Day|
|April 13||Scrabble Day||Scrabble|
|April 16||Eggs Benedict Day||Eggs Benedict|
|April 17||Cheeseball Day||Cheeseball|
|April 23||Zucchini Bread||Zucchini Bread|
|April 24||Pigs in a Blanket||Pigs in a Blanket|
|April 26||Pretzel Day||Pretzel Day|
Leveraging unique holidays like these is an easy way to break out of your normal menu items and engage with your customers in a fun and clever way. What better way to start off the spring and summer season than to create a buzz about your restaurant?
Do you celebrate off the wall holidays at your establishment?
Thousands of Bar and Restaurants Run on Buzztime. Here’s Why Yours Should, Too…
Buzztime is the preeminent partner to best-of-breed hospitality chains and enterprising, on-premise, emergent bar & restaurant brands like yours. Whether it be our measured
marketing services, proven promotions, proprietary digital games or signature live events, Buzztime can deliver revenue and returns through a transformative and translatable experience in your venue and through targeted messaging.
We are trusted by over 3,500 premier bars & restaurant chains, with 3 million active registrants and 50 million games played per year – preferred now, and for the last 27 years. Contact us to get started today!
Thank you for reading! Buzztime has helped businesses like yours increase guest count, customer frequency and average check size with Interactive Tablets that expertly blend best-in-class interactive entertainment, seamless and powerful marketing, and secure, convenient self-service dining and payment functionality to create an unrivaled experience